Sunday, June 10, 2012

The past few days I've been kinda sad about some stuff esp the whole losing a good friend thing, so I started wondering if I was falling into a depression or just sad. So I decided to figure out the differences between sadness and depression.

I know that sadness is a symptom of depression and that depression lasts more than just a few days, but what about people with rapid cycling bipolar, like myself. My mood changes constantly and my depressions can last anywhere from a few days to a month+, so what are the other signs of depression. Some symptoms of depression include:

     loss of sleep
     suicidal thoughts
     feelings of guilt
     changes in weight or appetite
     feeling hopeless
     feeling anxious
     decreased energy
     loss of interest
     inability to concentrate
     sadness

For me, I could probably check off at least 3 of these on a daily basis, even when I know I'm not depressed. I feel guilty all the time over stuff, I don't sleep, and I have trouble focusing on stuff for very long. I've also been losing weight recently and my interests have changed. I have signs of depression, and I feel sad, but even when I don't feel sad I still have the other signs. So am I constantly stuck in a depression and just perk up sometimes?

On the other hand, sadness is an everyday emotion that everyone experiences. It doesn't last as long as depression and usually accompanies a loss. Sadness also doesn't affect your everyday life.

Even though I can easily say that I have symptoms of depression, it isn't affecting how I am able to function day by day. I know that when I get depressed, it gets really hard to even want to do the simplest things in life. I have to force myself to get up and go to work, or help around the house. Its difficult.Therefore, I've figured out I'm just sad and not depressed. I am so lucky right now not to be going through everything I've been struggling with the past few years.

Depression and bipolar disorder are no joke. Both are difficult to handle almost every day. They change the way you think and that doesn't always make sense to people that haven't experienced it. Listen and try to be supportive. Those people in your life that are struggling through these illnesses will be so appreciative even if they can't express that appreciation to you at this moment.

1 comment:

  1. Undue guilt, from what I have read is classic symptom of BP. One that I deal with also. We get used to living with depression, I think. Most people who live with it, find a way to function-- only in a world where everything is dimmer and grey. I hope you're feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete